Gas and electric certificate

Gas and electrical safety requirements for landlords

Through the residential installation of our alarms, access control and cctv equipment we often find ourselves working for landlords and housing associations. It was through these links that led us to offer gas safety certificates (CP12) and electrical installation condition reports (EICR).

In addition to the certificates as a landlord, it is your legal duty to ensure all gas or electrical equipment in your property is safe and maintained throughout the entire tenancy.  Failure to do so can lead to prosecution and also invalidates most landlord insurance policies.

Do I need a Gas Safety (CP12) Certificate?

All UK landlords with gas appliances and fittings must have a Gas Safety (CP12) Certificate, which they must provide a copy of the certificate to any tenants before they move in and within 28 days of receiving a new annual certificate.

The annual safety check must be conducted by a Gas Safe engineer and copies of their certificates myst be passed on to your tenants.

Do I need an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)?

All UK landlords in the UK are required to have an Electrical Installation Condition Report produced every 5 years.

As a landlord, it is your legal duty to ensure all electrical equipment in your property is safe and maintained throughout the whole tenancy. This responsibility covers light fixtures and plugs, as well as internal wiring. An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) will provide evidence that you are actively persuing your responsibilities as a landlord.

Do landlords need to PAT test my electrical appliances?

PAT testing, (portable appliance testing), is a check performed by a competent person on electrical appliances to ensure they are safe for use. The test involves a visual inspection, though the PAT tester will also use a specialist device to test polarity, insulation etc.

PAT testing covers any electrical appliance that you provide your tenants which connects to your properties electrical supply. Portable includes items such as ovens and freezers as well as radios or kettles.

Installation Services

  • LED Security Lighting

    LED Security Lighting

    LED security and emergency lighting provides the highest light output with the lowest power consumption, combined with their lifespan, this makes them the most cost effectice lighting system.
  • Access Control Systems

    Access Control Systems

    Access control systems allow you to manage who has access to your site or premises, and we install systems suitable for both domestic and commercial use.
  • Vehicle Tracking Systems

    Vehicle Tracking Systems

    Vehicle tracking systems can help protect and deploy your staff and vehicles.
  • Intruder Alarms

    Intruder Alarms

    Twin Security Systems and our installers have been installing, maintaining and repairing intruder alarms since 1990.
  • Video Surveillance & CCTV Installer

    Video Surveillance & CCTV Installer

    Video surveillance offers increased security with a visual overview of your premises. Convenient and flexible, video surveillance goes hand in hand with access control to provide a complete security solution for your building.